New Server Layout

This forum is for general server discussion. If you have any questions, ideas, problems, or other things that you want to express about our server, this is the place to be!
Pizzanakin
Director
Minecraft Nick: Pizzanakin

New Server Layout

Post by Pizzanakin »

Hey guys,

Based on the previous discussion we had about applying server restrictions, I've tried to come up with a model which will resolve all the brought up points into the plans we already had laid out for the server. Hopefully this model suits the needs of everyone as best as possible, and if not let's see if we can adjust it together.

The basic idea (which isn't necessarily new) is that the server will have 3 dimensions (or maybe these should be called 'Realms' or smth else, so they don't get confused with the nether/end dimensions):
- A vanilla survival realm
- A realm with modified survival (dream dimension)
- A realm with minigames
Players can jump between these realms as they want, and they will have separate inventories in each realm. Each realm has a different focus.

Vanilla Realm
The vanilla realm is meant to be as close to vanilla as possible, only having essential stuff like worldguard, pvp management, sleep/afk management, etc. to make it easier/safer to play together.

On top of that, there are a few changes to how the map works (based on Morrowseer's suggestion, basically pointing to how hermitcraft does it): we will have a 'central area' which stays the same, while the area outside of this will get reset/changed every few months.

The central area will be a square of about 2000x2000. Imo this doesn't necessarily have to be one continent, as we could also just put a wall where the 'central area' stops and where the wilderness starts (to prevent ugly chunk borders).

This change is made to promote player interaction, since people live closer to each other. It also makes it so maps can last longer. When an update comes which adds new materials/blocks which don't exist in the 'central area', people can easily go outside and find these materials and bring them back in. So we can keep the same map + buildings for a longer time.

There can still be map expansions based on donations, since these will just expand the wilderness area, giving people more space to explore.

Modified Realm
The modified survival realm will focus more heavily on lore and role playing. There will be a storyline in this dimension, and new features will be added based on this story.

This means eventually several features will get moved to the dream dimension, such as the combat changes, magic, etc. we will also try out other stuff like an economical system, maybe a political system, and none of it will affect the survival gameplay.

The minigames realm is quite obvious I think :P so I won't go into much detail about that right now.

Implementation
The fact that I am announcing this stuff now doesn't mean stuff will immediately change. Most of this stuff is just being announced so that you guys have an opportunity to respond and make sure we agree on everything.

Once we are in agreement, these ideas will slowly be rolled out over time. For example, I imagine that the new vanilla map will only come once 1.18 releases. The dream dimension stuff might come a bit before that, depending on how fast I can work on it.

The role-play stuff will also start before the dream dimension itself is done. This is because I want to start experimenting with this right away. So at first this will also happen on the main world, but once the dream dimension is ready it'll be moved to over there.

Hopefully you guys have been properly informed, and if there are any comments or questions then please let me know!

All best,
Pizzanakin
XxGladiatorxX1
Minecraft Nick: XxGladiatorxX1

Re: New Server Layout

Post by XxGladiatorxX1 »

Sounds like a decent plan to me 👍
MORROWSEER
Minecraft Nick: MORROWSEER

Post by MORROWSEER »

I like the idea, but is there any chance you can keep one added feature in the vanilla dimension? I really like the homes feature and would not like to see that removed.

I think that the main quality-of-life changes like the rocket elytra switching, the homes system, and maybe even the tree-chopping one should stay just to make the vanilla experience more fun.
Pizzanakin
Director

Post by Pizzanakin »

yeah I'm fine with those. like you said, they're more quality of life features. they're meant to enhance the vanilla experience and not change it. so they'll stay for the vanilla realm :thumbup:
Pizzanakin
Director

Post by Pizzanakin »

hmm, another idea I just had:

in order to preserve the landscape of the central area of the vanilla realm, I'm thinking about making it so the whole area is protected by default. people can find a spot and then request a worldguard region to be added so they can start building there. this makes it so deserts/beaches/mesas etc. will remain untouched so that people can eventually just build normal stuff there and it hasn't all been dug out.

if people want to get huge amounts of sand or other materials, they can just travel to the region outside the central area. since this part of the map will eventually be wiped, it doesn't really matter if huge amounts of deserts have been dug out or something.

the protection would only be up until y50 or something, so that people can mine just fine in caves/tunnels. the goal is to preserve nature inside the central area for as long as possible. as soon as someone claims an area, they can decide what they want to do with it. however, you won't be able to claim an entire biome. it would start with a region that fits your first build (like 100x100 or smth, maybe a bit bigger if necessary) and the size of the region can always be expanded later if you want to add more buildings.